This came out on Monday, and I’ve yet to post about it. If anything, it’s proof that there isn’t enough time in the world for reading AND writing, as, aside from the Midnight Echo and the Aurealis stuff, I haven’t had a chance to read a lot of it yet. 😦 Anyway, congratulations to all the finalists!
The Australian Shadows finalists are (in alphabetical order):
- A Book of Endings by Deborah Biancotti (Twelfth Planet Press)
- Red Queen by H. M. Brown (Penguin Australia)
- “Wives” by Paul Haines (X6, Coeur de Lion Publishing)
- The Dead Path by Stephen M. Irwin (Hachette Australia)
- Slights by Kaaron Warren (Angry Robot)
- Grants Pass, edited by Jennifer Brozek & Amanda Pillar (Morrigan Books)
- Festive Fear, edited by Stephen Clark (Tasmaniac Publications)
- Aurealis #42, edited by Stuart Mayne (Chimaera Publications)
- “Six Suicides” by Deborah Biancotti (A Book of Endings)
- “The Emancipated Dance” by Felicity Dowker (Midnight Echo #2)
- “Busking” by Jason Fischer (Midnight Echo #3)
- “The Message” by Andrew J. McKiernan (Midnight Echo #2)
- “The Gaze Dogs of Nine Waterfalls” by Kaaron Warren (Exotic Gothic 3)
The judges for this year’s awards were Craig Bezant, Stephanie Gunn, and Chuck McKenzie. The winners will be determined by guest judges Bill Congreve (editor of the Year’s Best Australian SF & Fantasy series), James Doig (editor of Australian Gothic), and Martin Livings (author of Carnies) will be announced on April 5.